Below is a list of freely available online chemistry lab resources, including general chemistry and organic chemistry simulations.
- Virtual Lab Simulator – From The ChemCollective. It started as the IrYdium Project’s Virtual Lab. There is extensive documentation for the lab, including an instruction video. The Java lab applet is translated into Spanish, Portuguese and Catalan
- Virtlab: A Virtual Laboratory – Registration required, but you can join Virtlab for free
- Virtual Chemistry Experiments – Chemistry and Physics applets and phylsets from Davidson University. Some exercises are currently broken and others (like the Chemical Equilibria exercises) work fine
- Dartmouth ChemLab – This site has some very good interactive virtual labs plus a terrific interactive periodic table
- Virtual Chemistry Lab – From the University of Oxford. Virtual experiments as well as webcasts on chemistry topics
- Chemistry Experiment Simulations – From Iowa State University. Includes simulations/virtual lab, balancing equations and a pH meter
- Hi! Hydrogen – Interactive online chemistry lab
- Chemistry Homework: Interactive Tutorials – From the CSUDH Chemistry Department. Includes interactive tutorials on significant figures, quantum numbers, gas laws, thermodynamics, nomemclature and more
- ACD/ChemSketch Freeware – Free chemistry software to download
- Web-Based High School Chemistry Simulations – From Education Development Center, Inc.
- Virtual Chemistry Book – Not really an online lab, but has PDF and web files on all major concepts in chemistry with excellent graphics. It also has tutorials on selected topics such as redox reactions, acid-base titrations, and aquatic chemistry
- The Interactive Library – This EdInformatics.com site is a list of links to interactive Chemistry and Biochemistry sites. Some Java applets are standalone and some come with lesson plans and notes
- General Chemistry Jeopardy Games – From the University of Pittsburgh
- Y Science Laboratories – Realistic and sophisticated simulations covering chemistry, physics and planetary motion, from Brigham Young University
The following chemistry laboratory simulations and educational learning exercises are available for a fee.
- Online Chem Labs – Full set of virtual interactive chemistry laboratory experiments
- Late Nite Labs – Includes both Chemistry and Biology labs
- ChemLab – Interactive fee-based service. You can design your own simulations. Go to the downloads page for a free evaluation trial
- TeqSmart Learning Objects: Science – Includes a Titration exercise
- Chemistry LabPaqs – Hands-on laboratory experiences
Return to the List of Subjects.